Monton Unitarian Church has a long history of Protestant dissent dating back to 1668.
There have been four houses of worship on this site, the first of which was torn down in 1715 by a Jacobite mob. The congregation was originally English Presbyterian, becoming Unitarian in the late 1700's. However, only with the passage of the Bill of 1844 was Unitarianism openly recognised as the faith at Monton Church.
The current church was officially opened on 23 September 1875. We are very proud of our incredible collection of stained glass windows, depicting both biblical characters, but also notable figures such as Plato, Socrates, William Shakespeare etc.